How to File a Utility Patent Application
- Utility patents are the most common type of patent. "Utility
patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and
useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or compositions of
matters, or any new useful improvement thereof."
- Utility patents are issued for 20 years.
- Because of the legal complexity involved, most people will want to
consult with a patent
attorney or patent
agent before filing a patent application.
- The USPTO provides a comprehensive
guide to filing a non-provisional utility patent application.
See also the guide
to filing a provisional patent.
- Utility patent applications may be filed using the USPTO Electronic
Filing System (EFS).
- See the USPTO Fee Schedule for information on USPTO fees for filing applications.
How to Make Patent Drawings: A Patent It Yourself Companion
How to Make Patent Drawings: A 'Patent It Yourself' Companion Kindle Edition
Patent Pending in 24 Hours Kindle Edition
How to Make Your Own Patent Drawings and Save Thousands: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply (Back-To-Basics)
How to Make Your Own Patent Drawing and Save Thousands: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply Kindle Edition